Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Amazing and Unique Quartz House in Rural North Carolina

I am exploring western North Carolina, looking for a place to establish a base of operations.  I have traveled many miles and looked at a lot of the western part of the state.  I always keep my eye out for interesting properties and for me this usually means something with a vintage log cabin on it.  I was south of Franklin NC and came upon a house made of stone.

I was headed from here to there traveling down a back road when I buzzed past this white structure on my left.  At first I thought that is must have been made of regular stone and whitewashed.  

You know those historical markers that you see from time to time as you are driving down the highway.  I used to never stop and see what they were all about.  I must have pasted thousands. I was always in a hurry to get to where ever.  I decided somewhere along the way that I just don't need to be in that much of a hurry.  So I turned around and went back to take a closer look at the house.

 It was not just any stone.  The front and both sides were built from large quartz stones.  I walked around the house and got a close up looking at how the house was put together.  I can't imagine how long it took to find all the stones used in this house.    The rear of the house was made from ordinary stone.  Naturally, I got some pictures.  I didn't have time to ask around for the story behind the house.  This was not a case of a thin slice of a stone attached to an underlying wall.  These were full size and solid quartz.