Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Black Bears in Pennsylvania

I am currently visiting the great State of Pennsylvania.  I have been to most all of the States.  Traveling down the highway it is a very common occurrence to encounter a dead animal on the side of the road.  Most of the time it is a small animal and it is hard to identify the kind of animal that has been killed.  The most easily recognized animal is a deer.  Based on my on experience, I would wager that the leading cause of death among deer in America is collision with an automobile.  Just the other day, I was heading up the highway towards the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.  (I didn't know PA had a Grand Canyon)   Off on the side of the road I saw a large black mass.  I slowed down and was surprised to see a bear lying on the side of the road.  I approached the bear with caution and discovered that it was dead.  This was a first for me.   I have never seen a dead bear on the side of the road.  It had been hit by a vehicle and it appeared to have been kill instantly.   I took a couple of pictures.  On the way back from the canyon there was another dead bear on the other side of the road.  Two dead bears on the side of the road in one day.  I did not take a picture of the second bear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I sent your youtube account an email regarding your video of the secured fibers fire. I want to call your attention to the email. Thanks. Nice blog too!

Sincerely,
Joe