Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Exploring The Chattanooga RV Show

A couple of days ago I  went to the Chattanooga Super RV Show at the Chattanooga Convention Center.  There were two things that struck me about the show.  First, I spent a lot of years living in a major metropolitan area.  A super RV show would have 500 to 1000  RV's on display.  At the Chattanooga show there were maybe 100.  So not too much to look at.

The second thing that struck me was that out of the 100 or so RVs there were only about 10 with motors in them.  The rest were trailers of one sort or another.  I don't have anything against trailer, I  just prefer Class A motorhomes.   The reason that it was an issue for me is that I was there with  a friend who is in the market for a new RV.  I  was hoping to turn my friend to the Class A side of the force.  

My friend is partial to fifth wheels.  I have owned pull behind trailers but never a fifth wheel.  As we inspected the offerings, I  began to  have a new appreciation for fifth wheels.  One model in particular had the bedroom in the rear of the trailer.  Every fifth  wheel that I had seen before this had the bedroom in the front of the trailer in the part that set up  over the truck bed.  I always thought that the bedroom was too close to where the car drove around the campground.  In the rear bedroom models the living room was up over the truck bed.  It was a very appealing design.  

There were a couple of Diesel pushers at the show and I did my best to sway my friend.  The thing is, I lost some of my ardor for Class A's.  I could certainly see myself in a fifth wheel with a rear bedroom 

No comments: